Gardening is an addictive hobby. The joy of caring for a plant and watching it bloom at the right season is difficult to articulate. Whether you are doing it just as a hobby or as a horticulturist, your gardening skills depend on a whole lot on the tools you are using for the soil and plants.
When you are maintaining an attractive garden of yours, there are various factors to cater up to. Gardens should be timely watered, remove weeds and much more. For all these activities, you need to have some exclusive tools.
There are plenty of tools available online and offline. Among all, the simplest and multipurpose tool that everyone should have in their gardening tool is the Hori Hori knife.
Read on to check the top 10 Hori Hori knife and it’s detailed review.
Table of Contents
Top 10 Hori Hori Garden Knife and Knife Sheath
If you are a beginner or a professional, this article contains a list of the 10 best Hori Hori knives that most people prefer buying for their household at the moment.
Listed below are the best tools for a seamless and effective gardening experience.
The Fiskars have designed something rarer than the other Hori Hori garden knife in the market. The knife has a serrated edge concave blade on one side. The other side has a beveled edge that tapers down towards the end.
Instead of a single knife that the regular ones have, the Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife has two sharp points for better digging.
- The knife is easy to use as it is light in weight (9.6 ounces).
- The knife works smoothly for weeding at both hard and soft soil.
- The best option for indoor gardening.
- It has a 7-inch long blade with a 5-and-a-half-inch handle giving a comfortable gripping.
- The blade has a rust-resistant coating.
- Good value in the pricing
- The aluminum blade is not too sharp for heavy-duty outdoor digging.
- The softly molded gripping of the blade is a weak point for heavy-duty work.
- It does not come with a sheath. You need a bag to keep it safe.
This is one of the best-selling Nisaku Hori Hori Knives with a smaller grip and protective leather sheath. Its concave blade makes the toughest garden work easy and quick. Therefore, the knife is best for cutting, transplanting, and weeding.
The grip of the Hori Hori garden knife fits perfectly for any hand size. You can dig or cut even the toughest surface without the fear of any injury. It is made of top-notch stainless steel that can dig deep into rocky soils.
- The rust-proof, concave, heavy-duty blade gives the Hori Hori garden knife longer shelf life.
- It provides excellent grip with a protective hand grip to prevent injury.
- The product comes with a smooth leather finished Hori Hori knife sheath that protects the blade.
- A handgrip can be a misfit depending on the hand size.
The Truly Garden knife is one of the traditional Chinese gardening knives in the market. The Blade is made of 420 stainless steel. The 7” blade has measurements carved in it so that you can indicate the depth of the soil you are digging in.
The blade is extremely sharp. The makers advise using the knife with gloves to avoid any injury. Though the knife has round-edged hand support carved with FSC Certified beech hardwood, it also comes with a protective Hori Hori knife sheath.
- The blade is a 7″ curved stainless blade allowing digging depth till 6,” which is quite decent for gardening.
- The traditional hardwood handle gives protection from any injury from the blade. The handguard gives extra support to protect your hands even if mistakenly, they slip to the blade.
- It comes with a diamond sharpening rod. After using it multiple times, you can sharpen the blade using the rod.
- The knife can be used for soft and hard soil.
- The metal safety grip can become loose after prolonged use. That does not affect the overall functionality of the knife. In that case, tightening the handle will make the knife brand new.
The sleek, black-handled sharp Sensei knife is stylish and versatile. The knife gives more of a professional feeling than a normal gardening tool. It is a combination of a greatly equipped digging blade with beveled edges.
The stainless steel blade is hard, rust-proof making it the best Hori Hori garden knife in the market.
The non-slip plastic handle gives great support. The leather sheath increases the overall shelf-life of the knife.
- The 5.5-inch plastic non-slip contoured handgrip is very comfortable to dig at any surface.
- The 7.5-inch rust-proof concave blade cuts through soft and hard soil and easily any brand, or tough root dug into the soil.
- It weighs 10.1 ounces.
- The packaging comes with a genuine full leather Hori Hori knife sheath.
- Sensei gives a 100% money-back guarantee for any dispute within 90-days of purchase.
- The handle might be too big for a person with small hands.
The Nisaku weeding and digging knife are one of the best Hori Hori knives you can buy. The concave Japanese stainless steel blade has a beveled edge and a serrated edge on either side. The wooden handle gives the knife an ideal traditional Japanese look.
- The 8.5-ounce knife and the Leather sheath together from Nisaku comes with a two-year warranty.
- You can do the toughest job with the 7.25-inch concave robust stainless steel blade very easily.
- The 5.5inch plastic handle comes with a protective handgrip that will prevent any hand slippage while working in the garden.
- You can choose between the wooden and the plastic handle.
The Truly Garden Hori Hori knife sheath comes with a warranty of five years. The knife comes with a heavy-duty leather sheath, which protects the knife’s sharp edges very carefully after every use. If you have a kid in the house, this sheath is reliable enough to keep the knife casually anywhere.
- It has a sturdy belt loop to give extra grip to the Truly Garden Hori Hori Knife.
- It is made of thick leather with snaps and brass rivets on the belt handle.
- The leather is thick enough to cover the sharp edges of the knife for overall protection.
- It is designed for the Truly Garden Hori Hori Knife. Other brand knives may not fit in this sheath.
Barebones are one of the oldest companies to sell Hori-Hori knives. Not only for gardening, but the knife can be used as a bottle opener. The knife is ideal for hiking, trekking, and daily garden work.
- The Vintage Japanese design gives the knife an authentic and classy appearance.
- The 63/4-inch stainless steel concave blade comes with a twine cutter.
- The knife is extremely lightweight (around 1.5lbs) instead of having a hardwood hilt.
- It has a pure walnut handle, which makes the product durable and hardy.
- You get a one-year warranty from the day of purchase.
- It does not have numerical inches carved on the blade.
- Some users find the bladeless sharp in comparison to other Hori Hori knives in the market.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly Hori Hori garden knife that will solve the little details of your household, this one is for you.
- The knife has two sharp blade edges – on for cutting and the serrated one for sawing.
- The sharp knife’s wooden hilt is fitted with 3 rivets that make it more durable and safer to use.
- The 440 stainless steel blade is rust-proof.
- The hilt is made of hard, water-resistant wood material that does not slip from your hands even when used on a watery surface.
- Its high-end protective sheath makes the knife easy to carry from place to place. The leather is thick enough to carry the knife on your belt or sock.
- Not a heavy-duty knife
- Best used for gardening purposes
Improving gardening skills is easy with the Black Iron Hori Hori garden knife. Its dual edges are made for better slicing and cutting tough roots. The hilt is made to provide a better grip while you tear roots from the soil’s depth.
- The 7-inch stainless steel blade makes the knife perfect for the toughest gardening jobs.
- The knife is lightweight and beginners friendly.
- Its serrated blade has an ideal concave design that digs soil better than any other knives in the market.
- You get the product with a sharpening stone, leather sheath, and the knife itself. The entire pack is worth the amount you pay for.
- It is not the ideal choice if you are looking for a heavy-duty Hori Hori knife that can do beyond gardening purposes.
SUPTUL is a brand known mostly for their sturdy design and product service. The Japanese Hori Hori garden knife is famous for the ergonomic approach in cultural and professional lives. SUPTUL uses smooth beech for maximum hand protection while gardening.
The knife is waterproof and very safe to use for beginners to professional purposes.
- The knife’s concave blade is used for multiple purposes like ax chopping, soil depth testing, weeding, root cutting, sod cutting.
- The two-edged 442 stainless steel blade is 7.1 inches in length.
What to Look for Before Buying the Perfect Hori Hori Knife Online?
Hori Hori is a sturdy range of garden knives used for cutting and digging purposes. The best thing about the knife is that you can measure the soil depth because it has measuring units carved. It is the holy grail for gardeners and plant lovers.
This special kind of knife is known by the Japanese digging knife’s name for its invention in Japan. But nowadays, it is very famous in the western world. The word ‘Hori’ means to dig. When Hori is used twice in a row, it resembles the sound that digging produces.
The Hori Hori first came into action in Japan. Craftsman Matai used it for leather tanning and excavating plants like Sansei in the hilly regions. The invention was versatile for professionals as well as household purposes, which made the Hori-Hori knife a worldwide tool today.
This section of the article covers everything one must know before buying Hori Hori knives. There are few common uses for a Hori Hori Garden Knife. Some of them are:
- Cutting the twine
- Cutting through small branches
- Transport seedling
- Loosening soil
- Cutting and removing roots
Before you buy one to solve your purpose, some important features make a regular knife the best Hori Hori knife.
A knife is useless without its blade. The blade is the superpower because it does the cutting, tearing, and everything.
Every Hori Hori knife is designed especially with blades that can cut even under the soil. Hence, every Hori Hori garden knife is made of razor-sharp blades. You have to choose the level of sharpness depending upon your purpose.
Make sure to choose a knife that has a stainless steel blade that promises water resistance and robust action. If you choose a normal steel knife, it might get rust and lose sharpness over time.
A razor-sharp blade would need thick protection to avoid injury or any major cut. That is why a leather Sheath is the second important thing to look at before choosing the best Hori Hori garden knife.
Sheaths are available in nylon, vinyl, wood, and plastic covering. But to ensure long-lasting and secured protection, it is better to choose leather sheaths. Plastics, nylon, and vinyl might have a chance to tear due to the sharp blade, but leather keeps the razor and keeps you safe outdoors.
Most of the famous brands like Nikasu and Sensei have in-built Hori Hori knife sheath. But, in case yours does not have one, Truly Garden sells thick protective sheaths for knives.
The best Hori Hori knife will have a well-gripped hilt providing sustainability while you work. That is why choosing a sturdy and durable gripping is a must before you buy your Hori Hori knife.
The traditional ones are made of Japanese stainless steel and wooden handles. Some provide original walnut handles while some with the perfect gripping of soft polymers.
Some of the Hori Hori garden knives have difficulty in gripping due to variations in palm sizes. It is advised to check before you buy one of your hand sizes.
One of the most important features of your Hori Hori knife should have the measurement mark. Gardening needs exact soil depth measurement, which becomes easier with graduation marks carved on the steel blade knife. You can measure the fertilizer and seed plantation accurately at the correct depth if your knife has clear readings.
Usually, the best Hori Hori knife size is 11 to 15 inches in length. But authentic ones are available under notable brand names ranging from 5.5 – 7.5 inches long.
Hori Hori knife should have one straight side blade and another serrated side blade. The serrated side provides better cutting on tougher surfaces like branches, roots, and thick ropes in the garden. The straight blades are sharp enough to glide smoothly into the soil while digging.
There is no specific guarantee on how long the best Hori Hori knife lasts. The shelf life depends totally on the way and purposes the knife is being used. But, the typical life of a Hori Hori knife is up to 10 years.
How to Maintain a Hori Hori Garden Knife?
The Hori Hori garden knives need less effort to maintain. The only thing one should keep in mind is to not leave the knife to rust. Wash the knife with plain water after every use so that mud or plant remaining does not stay on the blade or the grip. Remember to dry it well before putting it inside the Hori Hori knife sheath.
Take care of the handles by wiping them with pure linseed oil once a while. It gives the tool a prolonged shelf life.
There is no guide for sharpening the blade. Remember to do that at the start of summer or spring.
Know that your knife is sharp enough which means it cuts compact dirt with only a simple swipe.
Before you purchase, remember to understand your purpose of buying the knife. If it is only for gardening purposes, choosing a less sturdy knife will solve the purpose. On the other hand, for hard and tough cutting, your Hori Hori knife must give protection and quick service.
Hope you found every detail regarding the Hori Hori garden knife and leather sheaths. Have a happy purchase!
James Fields is the founder of Gardener to Farmer. His passion for gardening goes back to his childhood days when he would visit his grandfather during the holidays and help him with the plants in the backyard. This has now translated to creating a dependable resource for gardening.