Are you Looking to have a healthy lifestyle? We have just the solution for you! Microgreens are plants that are harvested prematurely. They gained popularity amongst The United States chefs since the 1980s. These are seedlings of edible plants and herbs.
They are healthy and are a high-end garnish that includes kale, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, and red cabbage. This article aims to highlight everything about red cabbage microgreens. Read ahead to learn about them.
Description Of Red Cabbage Microgreens
Red cabbage is produced using seeds from the Brassicaceae plant family. These microgreens are tiny to medium-sized. They average at about 5 to 7 centimeters in length. With broad, flat, and heart-shaped leaves attached to thin stems, these leaves are smooth. They are dark green and have a deep purple edge.
Red cabbage microgreens are crisp, tender, fresh, with an earthy and peppery flavor. Their dark purple central veins also connect to a royal purple stem. These are tiny and edible plants with high health content.
Benefits And Nutrition
As we mentioned before, red cabbage microgreens have a high health content. Let’s explore their nutritional value and their nutrients before understanding the health benefits of consuming them.
Red cabbage microgreens are high in nutritional value. They are rich in vitamins and minerals. These microgreens contain Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, beta carotene, and antioxidants.
Benefits Of Red Cabbage Microgreen
The nutritionally rich microgreens have several benefits. Researchers have found that the microgreen version of red cabbage has more benefits than the mature cabbage. Consumption of this plant has the following benefits.
- They boost your immune system due to the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. These cabbage microgreens also reduce inflammation in your body.
- Cabbage microgreens have some compounds called S-Methylmethionine that reduce the risk of gastric distress. Soothing your stomach lining eliminates peptic ulcers.
- With 30 anthocyanins, red cabbage microgreens have the capability for reduced cancer risk in your body. The anthocyanins reduce cancer cells from appearing and give the cabbage its royal color. It also prevents cardiovascular disease and promotes heart health and brain health.
- Researchers suggest that the cabbage microgreens should help in preventing the risk of development of Alzheimer’s. These are still early days; there is hope that researchers will conduct further research to confirm this exciting news.
- If you follow a high-fat diet, you should supplement your diet with red cabbage microgreen to prevent weight gain.
- It also stabilizes your cholesterol metabolism and decreases ldl cholesterol levels.
How To Grow Red Cabbage Microgreens
It is only natural that you would want to grow red cabbage microgreens for multiple health benefits. They are effortless to grow and maintain.
1. What You Need To Grow Red Cabbage Microgreens
When you want to grow the best crop, you need the necessary tools. The fact that you want to grow this variety of plants shows that you want to reduce your cholesterol levels and have a healthy lifestyle. The most important things you need to grow red cabbage microgreens are.
- High-quality seeds. This is an essential item. When you go to buy cabbage seeds, research the available seeds and add only high-quality ones to your shopping cart
- Ensure that you have suitable growth media. These include a perfect potting mix, soil, compost, and an optimum container.
- You also need to ensure proper lighting for 12-16 hours a day on your crop. Another crucial tool required for the optimum growth of your seeds
Once you have the idea and the necessary tools, you can get on to growing your nutrient-rich leaves.
2. Step By Step Instruction To Grow Your Red Cabbage Micro Greens
It is easy to grow your greens which are primarily grown in window boxes. Once you have your high-quality seeds, sunlight, and container, follow these steps to have your cardiovascular disease-preventing greens.
- Firstly, fill your container with soil and water lightly. Ensure that you don’t over-compress the soil
- Now, sprinkle the seeds over the soil evenly.
- Spray mist highly on the seeds and cover the container with a plastic lid
- Check your tray daily and spray mist each seed lightly.
- Once the seeds have germinated, remove the plastic lid and ensure that sunlight or ultraviolet rays fall on it.
- Ensure the watering of your tray takes place at least once a day. This will make your crop grow and gain color.
- Your nutrients rich shoot should be ready to harvest in 7-10 days.
As you read, the thing with growing microgreens is that it is easy and keeps your cholesterol levels in check. These seeds do not require any soaking or rinsing and can be planted on day one.
Harvesting Your Red Cabbage Microgreen
After 7-10 days, you can harvest your red cabbage microgreens. Ensure that the plant has open green leaves. Avoid watering them for the final 8-12 hours before harvesting. This will reduce moisture content and reduce the risk of mold appearing. Cut the microgreen just above the growing media to harvest.
What To Use Your Fresh Microgreens For
After harvesting your microgreens from their growing medium, you can begin using them. You should include it in your diet to reduce weight gain and keep levels under check. Researchers have proved that these microgreens reduce weight gain by testing them on six feeding groups of mice.
Another reason to include red cabbage microgreens in your diet is to prevent diabetes, keeping sugar levels under control. You can also use a number of these leaves for garnishing your food too.
You can include it in your diet by incorporating it into sandwiches, wraps, salads, pizza, and juice. Microgreens can be consumed raw or blended. But, ensure that you don’t cook it too much or you will lose the nutrition.
Storing Red Cabbage Microgreen
It is advisable to include fresh red cabbage microgreen in your diet. When it is fresh, you will get its optimum taste. Note that the flavor changes.
However, if you want to store it, place them in between two paper towels to absorb moisture. Then transfer them to a bag or container to refrigerate them.
Red Cabbage Microgreens are healthy and easy to grow. So, step out now and procure the seeds to grow your healthy garnish. Having easy access for the sake of healthy eating is key to a long life devoid of diseases!